About the Photograph
A late autumn trip through the lower North Island found us enjoying a few days relaxing with friends in Whanganui. We decided to head to the coast to explore the beaches to the west of the city. Kai Iwi Beach is a popular beach, particularly during the summer months, however we all but had the beach to ourselves on this particular afternoon.
Further to the west, around the Taranaki coastline, we could see unsettled, typically autumnal weather yet Kai Iwi beach remained calm and warm. After making several images facing west, I turned around to look back towards the east and found the late afternoon sun casting beautiful soft light across the cliffs. It was a perfect opportunity to use neutral density filters to further soften the ebb and flow of the ocean waves that were gently lapping at the black west coast sands. The motion of the clouds drifting on the breeze was also softened by the long exposure. I enjoy the resulting painterly effect of this image.
As I made my images that afternoon, I was chatting with one of my best friends who noted that the erosion of the cliffs had occurred rather recently. It left me pondering the greater issue of the state of our coastlines under the threat of climate change. These beautiful landscapes are perhaps not as permanent as we perhaps once assumed them to be – making it all the more important that we enjoy them and increase efforts to limit our impact on our environment.
About this Limited Edition
- Edition of 25
- Media: Canson Infinity Rag Photographique (matte finish) 310 gsm cotton paper using Canon Lucia Pro archival pigment-based inks
- Print is hand-signed and numbered
- Includes hand-signed Certificate of Authenticity
- Information sheet with the story of the image and capture details
Photographic prints of this image will only be available in this limited edition. I do reserve the right to use the image for other purposes for example: calendars, books, greeting cards, postcards and other items of a similar nature.
Image size: 21″ x 14″ (533mm x 355mm) printed on A2
Your print will also include an additional white space border to allow for easy handling during the framing process.
A ready-to-hang solution for you to enjoy your photograph straight away. Framed photographs are presented in a classic 30mm wide timber frame made in New Zealand. White or Black frames are available. The photograph is mounted using archival quality materials including a neutrally-coloured bevelled mat (up to 3″ wide) made from Bainbridge Alphamat Artcare 4-ply matboard in Spanish White (8463) and 5mm acid-free foamboard. Conservation Clear glass is used to frame the work and is rated to 99% UV protection. Museum Glass which offers both a high level of UV protection and anti-reflective properties is available upon request for an additional charge.
Completed frame size (approximate) includes the print, mat overlay and frame and gives a useful guide for checking a framed piece will fit into your desired space:
- 29.5″ x 22.75″ (749mm x 578mm)
Shipping and Handling
- As each print is personally printed by Mike White and frames are made to order, please allow up to 3 weeks for dispatch. If you require your order to be completed urgently, please contact Mike directly to discuss options.
- Prints will be shipped flat in an archival sleeve between layers of sturdy, protective board.
- Framed artworks can only be shipped in New Zealand and will be packaged with multiple layers of bubble-wrap and heavy-duty corrugated card to ensure safe arrival.
- All packages are shipped with a tracked courier service.
- Free shipping within New Zealand applies to all orders.